Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Juicing

On Monday, I was welcomed to the world of juicing. After watching Foodmatters and Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead, I decided that my eating habits needed a big change and that my diet needed a re-boot. The solution: juicing raw foods (e.g. fruits and veggies).

First, I needed a juicer, so I purchased the Breville BJE200XL 700-Watt Compact Juice Fountain.Yes, a juicer is spendy, my health is worth it. The juicer I purchased is one of the top-rated centrifuge juice extractors, and is one of the most affordable.  

My Breville

These are the ingredients that I put in my first-ever fruit and veggie juice (recipe to follow).

Yes, you do need this much.


All those ingredients filled up this huge stein. I drank it all up within 30 minutes. I thought the taste would be horrid, but it wasn't at all. Juice tastes best when it's fresh. Plus, it starts to smell like vitamins after it's sat around for a bit.

Big Green Juice


Later, for a nighttime snack, my husband made a fruit juice with ripe raspberries from our yard.

The strawberries just had to co-mingle.

Make your own Big Green Juice:
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1/2 lime, peeled
  • 4 stalks of celery
  • 3 or 4 handfuls of spinach
  • 2 apples
Wash the ingredients, and peel the lime by simply cutting off the green peel with a knife. (The white part of the lime won't hurt you.) Slowly press the ingredients through the juicer, following the manufacturer's instructions. Drink right away.

The Big Green Juice is my own recipe, but you can find recipes online or in these books:

 

No comments: